Sunday, April 29, 2018

Taboos Of Old Chinese Tattoo Practice (华人纹身禁忌)


Guangong is a favorite icon indicating brotherhood code.


Tattoo practice is also practised among Chinese although it was not so popular. In earlier times, the person with a tattoo may be treated as members of secret societies. Situation has changed nowadays.

Like other tattooing practices of other ethnics, the Chinese tattoo masters also have their set of taboos. Below is a short list:


It is a taboo to tattoo a solo blood hunger wolf for a blood thirst wolf will cause a family to perish. 

It is not advised to tattoo broken limbs for the person shall be short lived.

It is a taboo to tattoo a tiger that decends a mountain for the master shall be devoured.

It is a taboo to tattoo an opened eye Guan Gong for the person shall become a cold blood killer.

It is a taboo to tattoo Tang Sanzang (唐三藏) for he shall be met with many disasters.

It is a taboo to tattoo small Nezha (哪吒) for he might be killed by a dragon.

It is a taboo to tattoo an old Zhongkui (钟馗) for not only he couldn't ward off ghosts; thieves come to him.


It is already a difficult life, whatever you do; don't tattoo an opened eye Guangong. If you prefer, then tattoo a happy opened eyes smiling sheep (喜洋洋)! The bigger the eyes the merrier. 

Talking about taboos of Chinese tattoos, I remembered a story told by a lady masseur, Lily:

"Sometime ago I was visited by a customer who wanted to have a full body massage. I asked him to take off his shirt so he complied and exposing the opened eyes Guangong tattoo on his back.

I asked the person to lay face down so that I could step on his back to massage with my soles. It is a standard practice to loosen the shoulder muscles...

As soon as I stepped onto the Guangong's face, the customer suddenly twitched and white foam came out from his mouth.

Due to his twitch, I also lost balance and fell down from the bed and hurt my back.

The man was sent to the hospital and I had to stop my work for 3 months recuperating. 

Do you think it is true that the Guangong punished me for stepping on his face?"

I shrugged and replied: "Perhaps it was just an unfortunate coincidence."

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment